Because our communities have been developed under one or more federal, state, or local affordable housing programs, we must verify that you are income eligible to live at a PEP Housing property. In addition, we are required to screen all applicants for their willingness and ability to pay rent and respect the quiet enjoyment of others. Therefore, we will need each adult household member to sign releases allowing us to verify the following:

This information will be kept confidential in locked filing cabinets. If you are not offered, or do not accept a lease, this information will be filed. Please bring a copy of documentation that will verify any one or combination of the following:


We will need to photocopy the following documents:

  • Valid CA Driver’s License or Identification card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles
  • Social Security card
  • Birth Certificate
  • Passport (if no Driver’s License or ID card are available)


We need the Social Security number of each adult household member to process a credit background check. If you do not have a valid Social Security number, we may ask for alternative documents to demonstrate you have the ability and willingness to meet your financial obligations. Documents for an alternative credit check might include:

  • Utility bills in your name at previous domiciles. This could include PG&E, telephone, water & sewer, cable or satellite television, etc.
  • Gasoline company, department store, jewelry store, or other retail credit cards
  • Finance or check cashing accounts
  • Other accounts upon which you make recurring payments


Each adult household member will be subject to a criminal background check.


We will need most current documents or information to determine projected gross income (please note that not all items may apply to your household):

  • Income tax return with W2’s – If you do not have a Social Security number, you must apply to the IRS for an Income Tax Identification number and file a tax return
  • Employment – Information regarding present employment, including overtime, tips, commissions, fees and bonuses
  • Self Employment – Certified copy of current tax return
  • Unemployment compensation
  • Pensions
  • Annuities
  • Union Benefits
  • Workers’ Compensation
  • Retirement Funds
  • Social Security
  • SSI (Supplemental Social Security
  • TANF/CalWORKS (Temp. Assistance to Needy Families)
  • Other Public Assistance
  • Child Support (filed court papers)
  • Alimony (filed court papers)
  • Education scholarships or grants


We will need most current documents or information to determine projected gross income:

  • Checking/Savings Accounts
  • Credit Union Accounts
  • Stocks and Bonds
  • Real Property (actual income if rented, or fair market value, less and unpaid balance on any loan(s) on the property, less reasonable costs incurred in the sale of the property if owned and not rented)
  • IRAs
  • Time Deposits
  • Certificates of Deposit
  • Retirement Accounts


Allowances MAY OR MAY NOT be considered, depending on the programs under which this property was developed (i.e. HUD). Ask before your interview. Where allowances apply, they vary with household circumstances and the individual family members. There may be three forms of allowances: 1) Medical Expenses; 2) Disability Assistance Expenses; and 3) Childcare Expenses. Where applicable, the allowable medical expense is the amount that exceeds 3% of annual income. Total medical expenses are those not paid or reimbursed by insurance, Medicare or grants by state agency or charitable organization.


This list is not intended to be complete, as it is impossible to pre-determine what is applicable to each individual application. It will, however, give you an idea of what is needed. Should you have any information you believe may be applicable and of assistance, please call it to our attention. Again, we recognize the personal nature of the information we require. It is our policy to maintain the confidentiality of your information. It will be stored in locked filing cabinets at all times unless your file is currently being processed.

Contact Us to learn more about our services.